Friday, December 18, 2009

MSN: Bug or Dump

After I recovered my account from being stolen (full story here if you missed it), I changed password and security questions of all my accounts (Yahoo!, MSN, Gmail).

I changed all of them in no time except for MSN account. At first, I changed my password with no problems at all. When I tried to change security questions, problems started to appear revealing a behavior that I didn't expect.

After I entered the new questions and before saving, session timed out and I was asked to sign in again. I forget my new password, so I tried to reset it again. I didn't want to reset it by using alternative email as it is my stolen account and I wasn't sure if it safe yet to use it in this (I didn't want to risk revealing another password).

I chose to use the traditional way, security questions and location information. I needed to enter them few times as I forgot them. After few trials, I was blocked from trying anymore. Till now, everything just seemed natural. 

I was upset and really in need for to access this account, so I tried IE (I was on Firefox before). The surprise was that I wasn't blocked from trying to answer the questions, and I was able to remember the right answers and successfully changed my password.

All this made me think: How was I able to enter the answers on IE while I was blocked on Firefox? I tried Firefox after using IE and I was still blocked on it !!
The only explanation, I could figure out, was MSN depends on History and Cookies saved in the browser to check whether I am blocked or not. 

I was confused and didn't want to make false conclusions, so I deleted History and cookies in Firefox and gave it another try. Well .. Guess what, I am not blocked anymore !!

I thought it may be normal .. and it is only me who don't know that, so I tried to do the same on Yahoo! account. For my surprise, I was blocked for about 24 hours from trying on all browsers I tried and even after I deleted History and Cookies on them. The same message always appeared:




Clearly now that it is a design issue in MSN, I don't have a lot of experience in security field and I having these questions that I can't find an answer to or my answers seem illogical:
  • Is it acceptable to make something important; like verifying identity of account's owner on things that anyone can change in with simple programming code lines ?
  • Is it an issue that was missed along the road, or is it supposed to be like this ? 
  • If it is supposed to be like this, Why don't other accounts' providers do the same, especially it would be easier and would reduce the load on the server ?
  • If it is supposed to be like this, How can MSN prevent thieves from trying thousands of time till they got the right answers and eventually stealing the account ?
  • If it is a major issue (or bug), I don't think I am the first to discover it. Why isn't it solved till now, especially that MSN is one of the oldest accounts' provider ?


If you can help and answer any of the above questions or give any clarification on this point, feel free to comment below.

4 comments:

  1. All i can say , Microsoft sucks in Security .. That's another clue added to the long list of MS sins :D

    last summer my sister's hotmail account and her friend's one were stolen , i tried to help them but it was too late

    Answers:
    1- no it's not acceptable
    2- i donnow but it's been so for long time
    3- others are more secure :D
    4- it doesn't , and the stolen accounts of my sister and her friend is the clue
    5- that's a mystery, but maybe the msn hotmail design is complicated to edit and fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. Others are more secure. I only use it to follow college emails and regular stuff.

    I don't think the design is that much complicated. There must be solutions that can be done without the need to rebuild their database from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... No doubt, I hate MS... and that's nonnegotiable... But out of justice, I have to tell you that...

    I was discussing this with Mahmoud Said from eSpace, and he raised a point...

    If your account is blocked after trials, I could block your account or any other account by trying many different times...
    However, for a suggestion to handle this, you could block it and send an activation link to the owner, or depend on the IP or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point Amr :)
    This would be a better solution.

    ReplyDelete